Today GEN and Startup Genome launched their annual report providing insights and data covering cities in 280 ecosystems. The report was presented by Startup Genome founder, JF Gautier, at London Tech Week who revealed that the global tech industry is now growing at its fastest rate since 1999.
Here are the key insights:
- Despite a turbulent year for many, the top five global startup ecosystems maintain their reign at the top, with Silicon Valley in the #1 position, followed by New York City and London tied for #2 for the second year in a row. Beijing and Boston follow at #4 and #5, respectively.
- North America continues to dominate the Global Rankings, with 50% of the Top 30 ecosystems coming from this region, followed by Asia with 27% and Europe with 17% of the top performing ecosystems globally.
- The global startup economy is worth over $3.8 trillion in Ecosystem Value, more than the individual GDP of most G7 economies, not including the value of exits prior to 2018.
- There are now 79 ecosystems generating over $4 billion in value which is more than double the number identified in 2017.
- 91 ecosystems created unicorns in 2020.
You can read the full report on the GEN UK HUB – available to view or download in Resources.
Leave A Comment